Polperro Rowing Club was formed and joined the CRA in 1968. Our first boats were second hand and not particularly competitive but funds were raised and new boats were built including in 1972 our first skiff “Moonraker” (CRA Registration No. 5) which is still raced today. Moonraker was built by Ron Butters whose daughter Gaye went on to win the Ladies Pair of Paddles Championship for 3 consecutive years.
Other second hand skiffs joined Moonraker; these included the Penhale, Two Brothers and Celerity (CRA Registration No. 10). Celerity was built in 1959 and was originally rowed from Mylor. She was very successful in the 1960s and is still raced by us today.
The Club’s early flashboats were the St Peter, the St Andrew, the Mingy, the Lander, Waterwitch, Paper Weight, the Lady Jane, Bonny and the Queen of Clubs.
The club in recent years has applied for grants and has purchased our 2 current racing flashboats, 48 (which for some reason we haven’t named) and Restgarth No. 49. Restgarth was funded with the kind generosity of Restgarth care Home in Polperro.
Some club members also have their own skiffs which are often used for club use. These include Twenty Two (22), Taboo (24), Pauline B (27), Rebekah (55) and no. 41.
Our boat shed is at the top of Polperro village near the Crumplehorn pub.